Compass Life Sciences are working with an exciting specialist clinical research organisation (CRO) which focus on skin-based assays.
This expanding Newcastle based company offers immuno-toxicology assay services and technical consultancy within the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and cosmetics industries through a unique technology.
The company are seeking an experienced Senior Scientist/ Scientific Manager within tissue culture/ skin to focus on both Client services and Research & Development.
The role will involve leading and overseeing client work and ensuring results and reports are delivered to a high standard. You will act as a main point of contact for clients when studies are conducted and will ensure all work during studies meets quality standards. Your role will also involve management of research & development projects, leading and overseeing each project and ensuring delivery of milestones.
You will lead the research staff to encourage maximum performance and dedication. You will support the maintenance of relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines so that the compliance status of the company is maintained on an on-going basis to meet ISO quality standards. You will support the CEO in management of key relationships with partners, collaborators, and clients to enable the company to meet sales, growth and market share objectives.
- Delivery and oversight of client studies
- Be the primary contact for assigned client studies for duration of project
- Maintain an excellent working relationship with clients, assuming ultimate responsibility for project progress in relation to pre-agreed milestones, reporting requirements and technical detail
- Be responsible for planning and scheduling the study programme, as well as providing technical guidance to laboratory staff
- Lead, coordinate and supervise staff during client studies
- Participate if necessary in technical delivery of client projects
- Deliver presentations and discuss study-end reports and scientific data
- Assist staff in data analysis and interpretation
- Assist operation in drafting proposals and schedules of work.
- Qualify deals and scopes of work with client in conjunction with BD staff to ensure appropriate service is provided
- Ensure all required documents are in place before a study commences
- Follow up with clients in conjunction with Business Development to ensure that proposals are complete and answer their needs
- Creatively identify ways to secure open proposals by working with scientific staff, BD team and CEO
- Identify new business opportunities with clients and liaise with appropriate internal BD staff for follow-up
- Develop and/or review proposals and SOWs for accuracy
- When appropriate, prepare cost estimates for protocols, price requests, study revisions and additions using suggested selling price following discussion with management team
- Review and approve deal and proposal packages within authorized limits
- Assist CEO in monitoring sale pricing practices to determine accuracy and relevance to study type, service and operation processes
- Report fortnightly to management
- Assist management in making recommendations on desirable proposals based on established financial and operational criteria, as required
- Ensure that BD staff visiting clients are fully informed about clients' needs
- Update Pipedrive weekly with progress on client deals/studies
- Work with BD and Operations to ensure accurate pipeline of studies are available
- Maintain up to date with current literature in the scientific aspects of therapeutic areas which are closely related to the services the company offers
- Attend industry meetings and events and contribute to representing the company at external meetings
Research & Development
- Manage R&D projects
- Lead the R&D processes
- Lead weekly research meetings
- Maintain continuous and close collaborative relationships with research project partners
- Deliver and embed a consistent project management approach and tools for use within R&D
- Train and coach technical staff to build an outstanding, high energy and highly skilled team
- Define key performance metrics and ensure progress is communicated in a simple, engaging manner to all levels
- Present technical information/views or updates in an accurate and understandable way
- Use initiative to solve problems and troubleshoot to assist the R&D scientific team
- Ensuring high standards of data quality and productivity within the team
- Ensure achievement of milestones is met to high quality standards
- Ensure work is performed for each project adhering to the Quality System by e.g. preparation of SOP's etc.
- Co-ordinate process validation for the assays developed for commercial production
- Ensure smooth transfer of new know-how and technology to other members of the team and ultimately to client services
- Plan, assign and direct work to reach target deadlines for client and R&D projects
- Manage the team to maximize the abilities of individuals within the team and the output to the relevant project teams
- Motivate and build a highly-skilled and a highly-engaged technical team
- Recruit and retain required members of the technical team not currently in place
- Staff performance management, identification of development opportunities and objective setting throughout the year
- Ensure to reward and discipline employees, address complaints and resolve problems
- Ensure staff perform work to a high quality, within specified timelines, and within safety regulations
- Communicate effectively within a team environment
- Ensure Health& Safety guidelines are adhered to by all members of staff
- Ensure staff are trained appropriately to perform tasks
- Manage risks and engage with the team and project partners to mitigate any risks
- Offer flexibility in working hours to meet the demands of work as and when required
- Participate in conferences/meetings as required
- Identify areas where processes could be improved and to use scientific rationale to plan, execute and interpret the effects of improvements
- Keep up to date with new technologies/methodologies which can be beneficial to the company and trial these where budget and demand from clients justifies these
- Provide leadership and management to ensure that the mission and core values of the company are put into practice
- Support the CEO to establish and achieve long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies
- Support the CEO in the Staff PDR processes.
If this position fits with your skills and aspirations apply now. To find out more contact Zoe Pindar-Ark at [email protected] or +44(0)161 870 8996
Alternatively, recommend someone you think is suitable. Compass Associates Ltd trading as Compass Life Sciences is acting as a Recruitment Consultancy for this permanent vacancy; we offer £200 worth of John Lewis Vouchers for each successful recommendation.